Welcome to St. Joseph's Catholic Church
About St. Joseph Parish
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church has served the spiritual needs of Catholics in Taneytown, Maryland, and the surrounding countryside for over 200 years.
The parish traces its origins to 1797, when Bishop John Carroll, the first bishop of Baltimore, appointed Father Demetrius A. Gallitzin as pastor. This makes St. Joseph the second oldest parish in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. The present church building, which dates back to 1876, was constructed at a cost $4,965.
St. Joseph is a small but welcoming parish. There are currently about 600 registered families in the parish.
Read the Catholic Review article about our parish.
As a community of faith, rich in history, we identify as our challenges a need for continuing education, evangelization, and participation in community life. Our mission includes seeking ways to meet these challenges, which reflect our beliefs, lead our community to stronger faith, and renew our willingness to live the Gospel of our Lord, Jesus Christ.